Thursday, July 26, 2012

I like these shoes.

The Shoe Project continues.... 

This morning, Berrit, Mia, and I helped Tim with the infamous shoe sorting.  They are having a shoe sale next Tuesday and Wednesday for all of the LH staff.  A local shoe store donated 300 huge boxes of shoes (over 1,000 pairs), some exact matches while others are close matches.  So, we have been sorting them by size and what not.  Today, Natasha helped us with pricing of the shoes.  She is South African so she knew how much would be too much to charge and so on.  We are pricing them at 25, 50, 100, and 200 rand; this translates to $3, $6, $12, and $24.  Great deals on very nice shoes never worn!  We actually had a lot of fun doing it.  The boys were elsewhere painting the inside of an office and Becca actually stayed home today because she is sick with a chest infection (hopefully, she will get better ASAP!).  We started at 8:30 and finished at 2:30.  Tim bought us pizza for lunch... the BEST pizza I have had in a very long time.  I'm not even going to type how many pieces I had.... shame.  My logic was that I would be dancing with the kids later in the day!  I really enjoyed spending some time with Natasha.  She is so spunky and carefree, which made working with hundreds of shoes entertaining.  No complaints here.  We are working on them again tomorrow morning as well.  


Afterwards, Tim took Will and I to Ocean View.  We were a little late, so I immediately hopped in the car with Chanette when I got there to head to Marine Primary School (few blocks away).  Once again, "Oh Happy Day" was taught.  Praise the Lord!  We had a great time!  Lauren led the Bible story in Afrikaans, which was so entertaining!  She does a great job at keeping the kids focused on what she has to say... kudos.  It began raining so we had to work inside the classroom.  We made crafts with all of them and then fed them their afternoon snack- an orange and a sandwich.  Great day in club even amidst the rain! 
Melissa reading from the Bible before Lauren

Tonight, Tim and Natasha came over for dinner which was lovely.  We had cottage pie, rice, peas and corn, salad, and for dessert- brownies with whipped cream.  Yes please.  Fantastic.  After dinner, I went in to the kitchen to visit with precious Ms. Anita.  She had more wisdom to share, so I gladly took it.  She told me whenever she talks to people about the Lord and what she feels He is telling her, they always question it with, "Are you sure?" rather than, "That's so great!"  She says she has two friends who she can truly rely on to be there for her and to pour into her daily.  They are very encouraging to her and never bring her down in a negative way.  I am always wanting to go and do, so those questions will often come up, but I must trust the Holy Spirit to lead me to wherever Christ has called me.  I am thankful to have conversations like this with Ms. Anita because she always gives me something powerful to think about.  What a blessing she and Ms. Bernie are to me! 

Looking forward to what tomorrow brings!  
2 Corinthians 4: 12-18
"So then, death is at work in us, but life is at work in you. It is written: "I believed; therefore I have spoken." With that same spirit of faith we also believe and therefore speak, because we know that the one who raised the Lord Jesus from the dead will also raise us with Jesus and present us with you in his presence. All this is for your benefit, so that the grace that is reaching more and more people may cause thanksgiving to overflow to the glory of God. Therefore we do not lose heart. Though outwardly we are wasting away, yet inwardly we are being renewed day by day. For our light and momentary troubles are achieving for us an eternal glory that far outweighs them all. So we fix our eyes not on what is seen, but on what is unseen. For what is seen is temporary, but what is unseen is eternal."

No comments:

Post a Comment